Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ecuador day 6 Sabado

Sister slept very well last night....a little restless, but for the most part, slept well. I slept in her room with her...we pushed the two twin beds together to keep her from rolling out as she was still in a crib at the orphanage...at about 4:30 I woke up with extreme pain in my back...pain I have never experienced before....so I laid there for a while trying to figure out the best way to get up. When I finally got up I walked into our room where Zac was asleep and woke him up...i was now very nauseous and dizzy...Zac helped me to get situated so I wasn't in pain and he went in to be with Sister...at about 6:00 I was starting to get very panicky as I couldn't fall back asleep nor could I move without major pain...

Crazy thing is..about 2 weeks ago Zac hurt his back and his doctor gave him some medicine to help with that and the doctor encouraged Zac to bring it with him incase the plane rides and travel caused a flare up....so totally another God thing! So Zac helped me to eat a banana and take the medicine.

Sister slept until 7:45 which was nice so we could figure out a plan of what to do since the people from INFA were coming at 9:30. We went down and talked to the manager as just yesterday friends that we met via Facebook had emailed to let us know the managers sister is a certified massage therapist and the cost is $15/hour! So the manger set up an appointment for Monday morning for her to come take a look a see if a massage would help.

The people from INFA and the social worker from the orphanage didn't arrive until 10:00....we just sat in the apartment and chatted about how Sister was doing and how we felt about the bonding process. We told them how Sister had been talking much more last night and today. They were very excited to hear that as I guess she didn't talk a whole lot at the orphanage. When they asked who was mommy and daddy she gave us each a kiss! They were very happy with everything. They stayed for about 2 hours chatting...the INFA lady had a translator who was also her granddaughter, who was 16.

They let us know the INFA lady and her granddaughter would be here Monday to pick us up at 2:00 to take us to the store to buy ice cream and cake ( I guess that is customary for the going away party) then they would take us to the orphanage for Sisters going away party. We will be bringing the donations we received as well as gifts for the orphanage social worker, psychologist, INFA social worker, the orphanage director, and Sisters groupa Tia's (moms). We decided to do small bottles of lotion and some chocolate. (suggested from previous families adopting)

After the INFA people left we ate lunch and took naps. Sister went down very easily as I think she was tired. I'm starting to relialize she gets very clingy and shy around other people...wondering if she thinks they are going to take her back to the orphanage...who knows..

After naps we took a taxi to the supermaxi (like Walmart) to get groceries we realized we would need for Sister...we could survive on ramen and pb and j...she could not as we needed to get some meat on her bones!

We had a good evening, I made hamburger, rice, and mixed in carrots and peas with garlic...it was ok...Sister liked it, I guess that is what is important!

We were able to have success in giving Sister a shower. (no bath here) we had been told she didn't care for showers(I have a feeling it was usually cold showers they had at the orphanage)..but I just got in with her and she thought it was the greatest thing! She was laughing and splashing and didnt resist at all she we got her all washed up. Her hair is so shiny when it is actually clean!

My back continued to be very tender with different motions throughout the day...I just had to take it easy and let Zac do most of the lifting if needed done..at this point I was still conerned I'd need to go to the doctor. I had a difficult time after we got Sister in bed...just had a good cry as I was scared for 5 more weeks with the back pain. We also stick out here very much and it makes it uncomfortable to go anywhere really...5 more weeks in this small apartment was getting a little bit overwhelming. I'm learning the language very quickly and communicate with most people....but it's just that we stick out like a sore thumb! Zac helped to reassure me we'd be ok and that God was going to take care of us. We continued to pray and trust God to help with my back pain and trust Him in our situation. We are also really starting to miss Addie and so wish she could be here...we know it's best for her she's in the states, but that doesn't help how much we miss her. :-(

Zac slept in with sister so I could try to get a good nights rest...we went to bed at 8:30 as we were very exhausted...emotionally and physically!

1 comments:

Anna said...

In Quito there was a store called Megapica. (a store of plastics) We purchased a childs chair for Grace to sit in and use as a step stool to wash her hands and potty, we were also able to get a coffee cup, plastic plate and a red tray- like a restaurant tray - the orphanage used these things for eating and we wanted to keep things similar to help in transition. The tray was great in case she spilled her drink it was contained in the tray.We also purchased a washtub they use for laundry for a few dollars that we put in the shower for her to bathe in. If you need the address to the pica or Megapica let me know- I still have the receipts from our taxes.
I will be praying today that your massage helps. I do know of a good Dr in Quito that works with SIFAT- where our church does its missions trips.Also remember, You dont have to have a prescription to get meds at the pharmacy. I was very very sick with my asthma and was able to get the pharmaceutical names of the meds I take at home and get them filled- very inexpensive.(sorry for the long reply)

Post a Comment